Monday, November 16, 2009

"the days are long, but the years are short"


I have been thinking about this quote so much recently.

As a Mother - nothing can be more true than this.

Don't get me wrong, we all have those days where we don't even know where the time went - all of a sudden the day has passed and you haven't accomplished anything that you set out to do. I had one of those days today. It started and then it was over. Just like that. Snap of a finger.

Then there are those days, where the day just won't end. Days where my kids have completely exhausted me and it just won't stop. That was my day yesterday. Not to mention, neither child fell asleep until midnight last night - LONG DAY!

I made a decision a couple of years ago that I would create a photo book every year for my children, capturing that year, special moments and milestones. I would make them each one and keep it for them until they grew up.

I'm a bit behind, but I finally finished and ordered Stefan's "The First Year: 2007" and it was delivered to me today.

Now I'm sad. I look at how fast they are growing up - how fast the last 3 years have gone by. I'm sad that I will not be having anymore kids. I'm sad that I will never have another newborn baby to bring home and hold. I'm happy that as each day passes, I've lived that day, but I am also sad because I have also lost it. I cannot make it up. The next day they are both a day older, wiser...

Remember on those days that you just want to pull your hair out "the days are long, but the years are short." Enjoy it, because once it passes, it's gone.

3 comments:

  1. So very true! I try to remind myself of this often, doesn't always make it easier I'm afraid. My days are long, my nights are longer. If only sleep would come I think my perspective would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days are long, but the years are short... how beautiful... this is a lovely post, my friend, and I will have to repeat that sentence to myself more often, as it is so, so true... I complain daily about this or that, I get tired and frustrated, but you're right, I look back now at pictures of when my babies were, well - babies - and I can't believe how much they have grown.. in such a short time! I may have to steal 'the days are long and the years are short' for a future blog post, too! Thanks for the inspiration! Your children are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I repeat that phrase to myself daily. It is my mantra. Our children seem to be very close in age, and I am so right there with you in the exhaustion department. And MIDNIGHT? THat is crazy. I loved this post, and I can relate entirely!

    Beautiful picture, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete