Monday, November 30, 2009

A Look Back On 2009

As 2009 slowly comes to a close, I cannot help but look back and remember.

It started off tough, I thought that it was going to be the worst year yet, but as it ends, I cannot help but feel that it was one of the best years ever.

It started off very challenging.

In January - I started to have problems with my pregnancy, I had entered the 3rd trimester, my blood pressure was high and my amniotic fluid was low. My father underwent bypass surgery and as a result of all the stress, I went off on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I had to see my OBGYN and Blood Pressure Specialist weekly. I had to do weekly ultrasounds to make sure that the baby was okay.

I cannot complain much about the bed rest. I was allowed to stay at home as long as I did nothing but sit and lay on my couch for 3 months. To some this might sound like a dream come true, but to me it was a nightmare. Do you know how hard it is to be on bed rest with a 2 year old little boy? It was so hard. I couldn't play with him, I couldn't pick him up, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't do anything other than go to the bathroom and make myself a sandwich or something easy to eat. The doctor made it very clear - if I didn't follow the rules, I would be admitted and stay there for the remainder of my pregnancy. No way I wanted to do that.

On the bright side of things - I did get to watch all the season of Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and Lost.

Although I was on bed rest, I spent soooo much time at the hospital. You see, the baby would barely ever move. If you have ever been pregnant - baby moving and kicking in last trimester is VERY important. I was even admitted into the hospital for observation once or twice.

My due date was April 4th. My c-section was set for March 25th. On March 19th, my final ultrasound, the baby was not breathing well and was having some difficulties. On March 20th - my OBGYN (God bless her) came in on her day off and delivered my healthy baby girl via c-section.
Jr. Princess
6 lbs, 15 oz

She had arrived. Healthy. HEALTHY! After everything that we had gone through - all my prayers were answered.

I thought all my problems were over. NOPE!

After spending 3 or 4 days at the hospital, I was very anxious to get back home to my 2 year old boy and bring my baby girl home. The day we got home, my son developed a fever that would get as high as 106 and last 2 full weeks. Can you say SCARY?

I had also developed a side effect to the epidural. I had something that they call a Spinal Headache. I had this bad headache for days, the only time it would go away was if I was laying down, the moment I would start to rise, my head would start to pound. I mentioned this to the nurses a few time while in the hospital, but they didn't seem to care. Once I got home, and the pain was not bearable anymore, I called my OBGYN who immediately told me what I was suffering from and told me to drink lots of Coke. The next day I was to go back to the hospital for them re administer the epidural - only this time it wasn't drugs they were to give me, but blood in my spinal cord where they punctured the initial hole. Luckily for me, I didn't have to go through it as the headache wore off.

All my attempts at breastfeeding failed (I was too stressed) - mainly because we had this VERY sick little boy and after about 7 visits to both Sick Kids and his Doctors office - no one knew what was wrong with him. Blood work after blood work, antibiotics, even IV antibiotics administered right to the blood stream - nothing helped. Then as fast as it came, it disappeared and everything was fine again. To this day, we have no idea what that whole episode was about.

I'm a little bit disappointed that we didn't breastfeed Jr. Princess- but the circumstances were as such. I already had numerous issues in that area to begin with and then adding Jr. Puff and his mysterious illness to it, just topped the cake.

But here we are 8 months later, about to celebrate our 1st Christmas as a foursome. We are all healthy, we have had no problems, we had a great summer, we went on a Disney vacation - what more could we ask 2009 for.

We are supposed to be in our new house. It was supposed to be ready for us on November 12, 2009 - but as most developments, they are delayed and we are not going to be moving in until the Spring. That is okay. Better late than never right?

My Father is okay - while his surgery was a bit rocky and his initial recuperation was a bit challenged - he is doing well now. He did very well and quit smoking for about 9 months or so, but here and there he has been caught smoking again. I wish that he wouldn't - but he is a grown man.

That is that. We are healthy and happy. I still have another 3 mos or so with my kids on Mat Leave.

It turned out the be a fantastic 2009 after all. I have my family and friends to be thankful for.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! I tried to post a comment, but I don't think it went through - I wanted to say that I'm sorry your year started off so terrible and so filled with worry, first with your pregnancy and then with your son's fever - how scary! I am very glad to see how healthy and beautiful your little girl is and that your son is okay, and same with your father, too. I wish you all the best for 2010 - may it start off great and continue great all year long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Loukia. I wish you and your loved ones the same. I can't believe just how fast time is flying by. The kids are getting so big so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I am new here but definitely can relate. I had a VERY rough pregnancy as well. I went on bed rest at about 20 weeks or so and stayed until I was 35 weeks, my son came at 36. 50 of those days were spent in the hospital on bed rest since I was being hard headed at home. Can u imagine 50 days of laying there in a hospital bed, and eating hospital food? UGH! I too had to go to the doctors weekly, then 2x a week for non stress tests. I also had to have weekly transvaginal ulatrasounds. My cervix was incompetent, so I had to have a placed put around it. Sometime during the 30th week, I had to go on insulin after getting steroids. I was already giving myself Heparin injections twice a day, now I had to do insulin twice a day and I got a thick pogesterone shot once a week as well. I'm leaving out a lot, but I'm glad to say my baby boy came out healthy at almost 37 weeks!

    Also, I coulnd't breastfeed either and it still bothers me to this day that I couldn't. I tried prescriptions meds to help bring my milk in, herbal remedies, had a lactation consultant come by and everything, but I just couldn't produce enough milk and my son had a hard time latching on.

    On top of all my single parenting, first time mother issues, my father had been in the hospital for like 3 straight months and eventually dided 4/3/09. I went from being 75% dependent to 100% independent with a child to raise on my own overnight. I've come very far since then though. We moved to a different state, I have my own apartment now, just bought my first new car, got a new job, etc. We have definitely been very blessed, but looking back, 2009 has definitely been a rough one.

    I'm glad we were both able to come out of these situations on top though. I definitely hope that 2010 is even better for us! I enjoyed the read. Happy Holiday's to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a gorgeous family and babe you sure can relate to what I am going through. I am so scared of going on bedrest and I have a lazy baby too. No movement for the most part. Today kick tests have been a little better but I've got the weekly NSTs and ultrasounds to make sure! I don't know what I would do with my 2 little ones on bedrest! I am so glad to hear that your year turned out so well and so funny - Amelia is on our lists of names!

    p.s. while I dont want a csection did you have tape or staples? Have you heard one is better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the fantastic comments. I love reading them - especially since there are days we feel alone and like no one in the world can relate or understand. This is why I started my blog - to share my experiences with others.

    I had both staples and tape the 1st C-section. The 2nd one, my OB actual delivered (and not the Doc on call) and she cut out my old scar and hand stitched the new one. They still covered it with tape that I wasn't to touch for like 10 days.

    ReplyDelete