Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How We Survived Strep Throat This Summer

I keep telling you that I have been away and needed a long break and I keep meaning to get back into my blogging and it never seems to happen. I will tell you why... 2011 has been an awful year for illness in our house. One thing and one person after another. I think its because Jr. Puff was in JK and it was his first year at school. He must have brought all sorts of viruses and germs home.

But this summer... took it to a whole other level.

Strep Throat. Recurrent Strep Throat.

4 rounds of antibiotics for me.
3 for Jr. Puff.
3 for Hubby.

We were lucky that our two and a half year old did not get it. But she had her share of trouble earlier in the year with recurrent ear infections and had taken 4 or so rounds of antibiotics back then. After seeing the Naturopath and Osteopath on a regular basis, she has been a pretty healthy kid.  We worked really hard at boosting her immune system. Guess it worked.

It all started the May long weekend. I was taken out by chills and fevers of like 103. My throat felt like it had a golf ball in it and it hurt to swallow water.

This triggered everything else.

Im not too worried about it and all the antibiotics that we have taken. We are healthy people with no medical issues and we are currently working with our Naturopath to boost our immune systems and get ready for the upcoming flu and cold season.  Since we have been working with the Naturopath, we have been better and seem to have gotten out of the cycle of Strep.

But it was a tough Summer. We stayed home a lot and didn't get to do as much as we wanted to, but the nice thing is that we spent a lot of quality time together. We hung out in our backyard and with our neighbours (once the antibiotics kicked in each time and we were no longer contagious). You see, we live in a new development and none of the neighbours have fences up yet. So it is one big open area with swing sets, trampolines and bouncy castles and a lot of kids all the same age. It is every kids dream in our backyard.

So we made the most of it.

There was a few scary points, Jr. Puff had a pretty bad allergic reaction to his medicine and was given epi-pens and sent for allergy testing. We did find out that he is allergic Ceftin from the Cephalosporins family as cannot take any thing anything from the Penicillin family either.  Im was lucky that I was with him when he had the reaction, we were in the car driving to the babysitters house. I quickly turned around and went straight to the hospital. Luckily enough we live really close to the hospital.

You know what.. We lived through it.

Some extra Vitamin C, St Francis Immune Drops, probiotics and some other supplements, we are back on our feet and feeling good again.

If you ever find your self in the same situation with a recurrent or chronic condition in your house, don't wait... go see a naturopath. I love mine. We should have gone sooner and not just hope that the antibiotics would be enough.... 4 rounds for me.. awful

School starts next week and I am pretty excited. Jr. Puff is excited too. SK. I cannot believe that my baby is going to be 5 soon and going into SK.

The only crappy thing is all the germs he will be bringing home with him again this year.

Again... lots of rest, extra vitamins and supplements... that seems to be how we finally beat the cycle of strep in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment