Thursday, April 15, 2010

Surviving Change

So going back to work wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. Here is a summary:

Week 1: All four of us got sick and Jr. Princess has an awful time adjusting to daycare. She was really sick, she was teething and just plain unhappy.

Week 2: Most of us still sick, Jr. Princess gets 4 new teeth, still hates daycare, clingy, refuses to eat and just a disaster.

Week 3: Better, Jr. Princess finally not foul and clingy, is finally starting to adjust well. No one is sick anymore.

Week 4 (NOW): Jr. Puff and Jr. Princess sick again towards end of the week. Jr. Puff is clingy, constantly telling me not to go to work and to stay home with him, wrapping himself around Dad's leg.  He is still reacting to the change. We just automatically assumed that because he went to daycare for 2 years already, that he would have no problem adjusting, but that was not fair and we have only just realized that he is having some issues.

Needless to say, its been a tough adjustment, but honestly what has made it easier to handle is having patience and realizing that Im not perfect.

If you read my earlier posts, you will know that we are moving mid May - I can hardly wait to see what that move will do to my kids. I may not be organized as of yet, but I am prepared.

So if you are going through anything similar to me and your children are being affected by many changes, rest assure - they will eventually adapt and things will get better. Although things are not perfect in my household, progress has been made.

I have been so preoccupied the past 4 weeks with trying to come up with a routine where I can still get all my chores done, dinner prepared, work done, kids bathed and put to bed, that I totally forgot to spend time with them. Once my husband and I realized this, we started to spend more quality time with the kids, especially my  son who has become clingy as of late. I truly believe that he is reacting this way to the lack of quality time spent with him.

Do not do what I didn't do: Spend time with your kids, forget the chores, the laundry that is not essential can get done tomorrow night, dinner can be a sandwich the odd night or a pizza can be ordered. Just make sure that your children get the attention that they deserve. This will help the transition.


 Take care of yourself, make sure that you have someone you can talk to and vent. Its normal to feel overwhelmed by such change. Its normal to feel like a failure at the best of times, your family and friends will make you feel better and remind you that you are doing the best job that you can. 


So while we are survived the back to work adjustment for the most part, Im ready to take on the big move adjustment!

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel for you...I'll be in the same boat next month, going back to work! :-S Hope you and your family get through the transition as quickly and painlessly as possible...it gives me reassurance that I'm not alone, and with time it will be ok! :-)

    ReplyDelete